In a time that everyone is baking banana bread, why not try something else (or both?) which also uses just a few basic ingredients. These have a lightly spiced flavour which makes these vegan treats perfect to go with a cuppa and means they taste great on their own or iced. For the Sustainer Container launch day biscuits, we used vegan royal icing so the letters could be clearly cut.
Makes around 16 biscuits
Preparation time: 15 mins + 30 mins chill time - Cooking time: 14 mins
- 100g vegan butter (softened) or margarine
- 35g caster sugar
- 15g muscovado sugar
- 150g plain flour + extra for sprinkling
- 1tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 100g icing sugar
- 3 ½ tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Line two baking trays with grease-proof paper (for a low waste bake, we used resusable grease-proof paper).
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium sized bowl until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and spices before stirring to make a dough. Use your hands to gather the dough into a ball and chill for half an hour in the fridge.
- Set the oven to 160C/ 140C Fan/ Gas 3 and sprinkle flour over a clean surface such as a chopping board. Roll out the dough so it is around 4mm thick.
- Use a medium sized round cutter (or whichever shape you can find) to cut out rounds. Arrange on baking tray and bake for 15 mins or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, add the vanilla extract and water to make a stiff paste.
- Spread the icing over each of the cooled biscuits and leave to set. Best stored in an airtight container.